Re: Windoze->SEUL migrations

Cyberdyn wrote:

> This is really diging into the stupidity of users.  If you want to get carried
> away with this, it's not hard to put a description of a partition in the
> install process.  It's also not hard to figure it out without asking them.

 Hummm, let me think a moment.  The last time I bought a computer systemthe hard
drive came formatted as Drive C.  The whole hard drive (I think that
it was a 1.2 gig hard drive, not sure).  Unless things have changed then this
practice is still going on.  Remember that MSDOS uses drives not partitions
and, again if memory serves, when I installed win95 there was no documentation
that came along with it that covered anything remotely like partitions. In fact
when
I first installed Linux I had to dig up old DOS (circa DOS 3.0) documentation to
figure out what the installation was talking about when it mentioned partitions.

> NO!  Do you understand the difference between a rescue flop and an installation
> flop?  Short sighted?!?  Tell you what,  play the stupid user (the one that
> doesn't know what a partition is) and remove that funny file named vmlinuz and
> reboot your system.  Then tell me a rescue flop/partition is a short sighted
> concept.

 Actually I have Linux install on a secondary hard drive and windows95/NT installon
the primary hard drive so what you have said is rather a moot point.

 What I was attempting to say, in my own way, was that the idea that was put
forward,
delete windows and install linux then reinstall windows is just rather silly.  Have
someone
take a computer that has a running operating system installed and tell them to get
rid of
the operating system and install something that is unknown and reinstall (also if
memory
serves when I bought my last computer system I never recieved the disks that would
allow me to reinstall windows, I had to spend an additional 20 bucks to have
microsloth
send me the disks to reinstall it) windows again.

Unless there is a compelling reason for the user to install linux there is no way
they will
follow this idea.

            Greg