[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: SEUL: Text vs. X
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On 14-Feb-98 Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
- ->> NO! SEUL exists to make computers easier for people to use, not to force
- ->> them to learn something that doesn't matter to them.
- -> Very true. But there comes a point where they need to know something (for
- -> example, how to turn their machine on.) The point is that if they get
- -> caught in the 'loop of Death', they should know how to hit C-M-F1 to get
- -> out of the loop and into the shell.
You have me confused. This is, at least, the second time this terminal
switch has been mentioned. On my machine, the loop of death effects *all*
VT's as well as the graphic VT. I end up typing between flashes, not an easy
thing to do, to login and kill xdm.
So, which X server were you using that let you get to a normal VT while xdm
was respawning itself?
- -> And also, there's the issue
- -> some-one else raised: what if the machine doesn't have the hardware for X
- -> ? I'm not really clear whether SEUL is supposed to require X-Windows to
- -> work or not. If it's to be usable without X, then the text-menu stuff
- -> starts to look fairly important all of a sudden.
This isn't even at issue. It's common sense to provide fall back.
E-Mail: Cyberdyn@seul.org Date: 14-Feb-98 Time: 19:11:14
It's amazing how much "mature wisdom" resembles being too tired.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----