Re: [seul-edu] [no longer OT] summation of 1/2x

Quoting Rakis <rakis@wt.net>:

> 	As horrid as this is going to sound, FORTRAN is an
excellent number
> crunching language. Personally, I can't stand the
language but I know it's
> still widely used in the engineering fields. Odds are

When I was a grad student one of my jobs was to maintain
undocument code to compute various properties of
Semi-conductors.  Every program I worked on was written
in FORTRAN.  However, we hired a CS undergrad to help us
and he started writing code to automate our information
collection systems.  He was bold -- he was using C on
OUR computers!!  C++ was still very new then and wasn't
widely used.  But those CS people were always talking
about it then.

In anycase it is very true that in the Electrical
Engineering fields most of the programs use fortran (at
least the older projects that have been around for a
while).

Bill
TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>