Re: [seul-edu] Can you help?

Nice analogy of computer labs being like libraries.  I
agree, except that computer classes also useful for
teaching programming, etc.  I think it is useful (at
least until computer are really available as an
inexpensive portible tool, we will need both classrooms
and labs.  Computer can't be like pencils, they are just
too expensive and too hard to cary.   "Costs are an
important part of school mentatlity.

I think teaching linux has the same danger.  The problem
is how the teaching is happening not which platform and
programs are being used to teach.  This will take a long
time to change -- it may never change.  Math is often
taught the same way.  We teach the kids how to do math,
not how to use math and solve problems with math.  It is
often not just a problem with theaching, but that
teachers are required to teach this way.  All kids must
learn up to page 545 by the end of the year so they can
use the next book.  If a kids doesn't understand very
well they start back at page 1 and try again.  This
often has to do with moving large numbers of kids
through a curriculum "efficiently."  Or shall I say
"cost effectively."  In anycase it is not completely
based on pedagogy.  This tends to loose the slower kids
and bore the hell out of the kids who could go faster.
I used to love teaching seniors who were never going to
take math again, because this problem didn't exist.
When I taught Geometry and other beginning math classes
I figured I used to appropriately teach 40 - 60 percent
of the kids.  I figured I would loose quite a bunch on
both sides.  I don't teacher anymore because I don't
like that system.  Although, I must admit teaching
computers wasn't so bad, because there doesn't seem to
be an exstablished "pace" and curriculum (yet).

The funniest thing I find is that Administrators and
teachers always tell me how little they know about
computers and that they in particular need private
tutoring -- they would be too embarrased or wouldn't get
enough attention if they had to learn about computers in
a class.  This is VERY important to them.  However, this
is just not true for students.  I have brought up this
point with them  several times at various schools and
they just don't seem to see any connection to their
learning needs and student's learning needs.  A little
odd in my oppinion.

I guess I am far enough off topic I should stop and go
back to work.

Bill

Quoting vic@gssi.es:

> I think that teaching windowze, word and excel, we are
doing more harm
> than good, as if we were teaching how to drive Ford
minivans instead of
> simply teaching how to drive.

> In my view, computer labs are good (eal good) as
school libraries are
> good, a place to have the information tools, while we
can't have a bunch
> of computers in every classroom as whe have copies of
the most used books.
> Of course, this computers shall be connected to the
school network and,
> through it, to the rest of the wolrd.

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>