Re: [seul-edu] Can you help?

On Sun, 9 Apr 2000, Stephen A Quam wrote:

> Vic,
> 	Are you trying to say computer labs are good or bad?
>
> Stephen
Sorry, I think I did not express myself right. My friends call me a Linux
fundamentalist, I've been in computers since 1975 when I was 14, adn think
that computer literacy is nowadays as ability to read and write was at the
start of the renaisance, a MUST for an educated person. In my view,
children should view computers as every day tools, like fortunate ones
like mine or yours do, who have always seen one or more computers at home
as they have seen video recorders, TV sets or telephones.

I think that teaching windowze, word and excel, we are doing more harm
than good, as if we were teaching how to drive Ford minivans instead of
simply teaching how to drive.

In my view, computer labs are good (eal good) as school libraries are
good, a place to have the information tools, while we can't have a bunch
of computers in every classroom as whe have copies of the most used books.
Of course, this computers shall be connected to the school network and,
through it, to the rest of the wolrd.

I hope I have set my point of view in a cleared way. I think I won't get
too many flames from this list with the views :)

G & S Sistemas de Informacion, S.L.  | Phones:
Victoriano Giralt                    |   Land line: +34-952-207-048
Chief Consultant and Owner           |   Mobile:    +34-670-332-720
Torre de San Telmo, 8                |   Fax:       Use e-mail, looks nicer
E-29018 Malaga (Spain)               | E-mail: vic@gssi.es
Member of ISOC (Andalusian Chapter)  | http://www.gssi.es/