Re: [seul-edu] Hello from Crosswords for Linux maintainer

I am not sure how I could help, but I have lists of
vocab words I used to use.  I could make some of my old
vocab quizes into x-word puzzles.

Do I send you definitions and words or in some format?
I saw one form, but I wasn't hoping to have to figure
out how to organize the works.  I was hoping your
program would take the solutions and figure them out for
me.

Perhaps the best would be if a teacher could enter a
list of words and clues and it would generate the
puzzle.  Probably your program does this I just visited
your site too quickly.

Bill

BTW, how do I enter words into the puzzle on the web
site?  It seems like that would be great.

Bill

Quoting Manuel Gutierrez Algaba <irmina@ctv.es>:

> On Sun, 9 Apr 2000 rnd@sampo.karelia.ru wrote:
> >
> > I am impressed!
> >
> > >Just, I'd like to know your opinion about this
problem I have:
> > >people doesn't send me lists of words for doing
Crosswords

> > There probably need to be more reminders of this on
web-pages,
> > with clear instructions...
>
> Ok, there's instructions in the tarball with all the
Crosswords,
> perhaps being a bit bore , including instruction in
every page
> would help.
>

> > For example, if I am about to translate into Russian
what do  I
> > need to change, etc?
>
> All my scripts are written in python 1.5.1 , basically
the structure
> is this:
> - Lists of words
> - Generators of .desc , crosswords in a "normal form",
like:
> /Emacs 6 /
>  [Manuel Gutierrez Algaba March 2000]
> &
> -packages------
> -e-------------
> -r-------------
> -f-------------
> -o-c-----------
> -r-u--p--------
> -mark-h--c-o---
> -s-r--a--o-u---
> ---elisp-n-t---
> ---n-deletel---
> ---t--s--r-i---
> ---------oundo-
> ---emacsclient-
> ---------------
> ---------------
> &
>
> #
>  "(1, 2) DOWN M-1 0 0  _____ 100 times the next
command"
>  "(5, 4) DOWN C-x = gives information about the ____
char under the
> cursor"
>  "(6, 7) DOWN M-x ____-of-moon, emacs is incredible !"
>  "(7, 10) DOWN C- stands for the _____ key"
>  "(7, 12) DOWN Mode that hides some code, useful for
python"
____"
>  "(7, 2) ACROSS Point and ___ delimit the
cutting/copying area"
>  "(9, 4) ACROSS The 'extension' language of emacs"
>  "(10, 6) ACROSS M-d _____ up to the end of a word"
>  "(12, 11) ACROSS C-x u ___es what you've just done"
>  "(13, 4) ACROSS It requires an active emacs with M-x
server-start"
> #
> $
> performs
> current
> phases
> control
> outline
> packages
> mark
> elisp
> delete
> undo
> emacsclient
> $
>
> -Then this stuff is parsed and mixed with a
pattern.html that
> holds the Javascript. And then we've got the final
Crossword.

> Each character shown in the browser is a .gif, then
you'd have
> to draw every Cirillic character. And my python script
generator
> of crosswords doesn't care about alphabets, a possible
word
> would be :
> p("^G^H^I@@#~~", "Foo word"),
>
> So, If I have more  words with such characters, there
won't be
> any problem to find the "cross" , that is, find a
common char
> of two strings.
> Just type whatever you like inside the python string.
> Another issue is :
> Can netscape read files like "russian-R".gif (ro)?
>
> For a there's a a.gif, for b there's a b.gif, for
u-mit-umlaut
> there's a ü.gif, for n-tilde  (Spanish enye) there's
ñ.gif.
> Could netscape load a "russian-R".gif ? or could it be
interpreted
> as another char in Latin-1?
> I don't know.
> Anyway, you can analyze the code of any crossword,
just View
> Source in the browser, and in :
> function load_sources() {
>  for (i=0; i<puzzle.length; i++) {
>   dummy = puzzle[i];
>   if (dummy == '-' ) {
>     orig_sources[i] = base + 'black.gif';
>     letter_sources[i] = base + 'black.gif';
>   } else {
>     orig_sources[i] = base + 'white.gif';
>     letter_sources[i] = base + dummy + '.gif';
>    }
>   }
> }
>
> You've got the key for translations of chars. There
you can map
> real representations with file names. I mean , you can
have:

> -packages------
> -e-------------
> -r-------------
> Imagine that p,a,... are encoded in Cirillic, that is,
they're
> control codes or whatever, then you can in " function
load_sources"
> map those control codes into "more-usual" names of
files such
> as a.gif, or a_russian.gif.
>
> It's not impossible. The biggest problem I see is in
names
> of the .gif files. Because netscape can show Cirillic
and python
> strings doesn't care about what's inside them. I think
python
> has no problem with Cyrillic, I think. Another option
would
> be to generate and to write the crosswords .desc in
Latin characters
> -pravda---
> -e--------
> -r--------
> -e--------
> -s--------
>
> with some special characters for special letters, and
then map
> them in the "load_sources" function, probably this is
the easiest
> solution, only requires:
> mapping of latin letters, into drawings of letters
stored in .gif,
> that is, a different pattern.html for Russian.
>
> and of course the drawing of such letters.
>
> In fact with these method you can work with any
alphabetic language,
> and handling a bit combinations of words in the .desc
, I think
> it'd be possible to have crosswords even in Chinese !
>

> > By the way, there is a crossword generator called
"cwc"  which
> > could make generation of crosswords easy. Have  you
tried  it?
> > (Unfortunately it doesn't support too many
non-english chars  -
> > that's why I am asking).
>
> URL, pleeeeeease ?? :)
> My generator has been made by me. It uses a bit of
brute force and
>  a bit of back tracking. It's surprising that actually
works!
> I've been thinking about releasing it, so it can get
improved,
> but if people doesn't care about sending me a line ( a
word), how
> can I expect help in a back-tracking-random algorithm
which is
> the hell for the average user... ? Besides, it works
almost by
> chance, ...
>

> > >Probably this is the sort of help easier that
anyone can provide
> > >to any project, just "raw" help with no previous
knowledge, almost
> > >effortlessly.
> >
> > I could advertize your effort in relcom.education
usenet  group
> > and some others, where there are lots of active
readers.

> That'd be great indeed. If these projects ever manage
to get
> a "critical mass", it'd be one of the most interesting
project
> out there. Not for the crosswords, but for the
lexicons collected.

> Python URL : www.python.org Although python is
distributed in
> all Linux distros.
>
> Well, to put it short:
> It's feasible, it's possible. Just:
> - do the russian letters.
> - do the mappings of those letters in the function
load_sources

> I'm not 100% sure but I think Cirillic strings in
python won't
> be troublesome,... finally netscape will turn it into
readable
> Russian.
>
> Regards/Saludos
> Manolo
> www.ctv.es/USERS/irmina    /TeEncontreX.html
/texpython.htm
> /pyttex.htm /cruo/cruolinux.htm
>
>   I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. --
Gilda Radner

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>