[seul-edu] Networking Printers

Dear Seul Folks:

Well, my network is slowly coming together.  Everyone talks to the web, and
email works.  Next,  I must set up printing.  I thought you folks might have
good experiences in this area.  I know there are many ways to go: smpprint,
lpd, ghostscript, pdq, etc.  However, what I have read seems to advocate the
use of pdq.

I have started experimenting with pdq, and it prints well  from one machine.
However, I am still working on the networking aspect (using tcp/Ip static
addresses).  I have read the Printer How-to docs, and tried various approaches,
but so far no luck.  Does pdq print to a pdq, or an lpd spooler on the
remote printing machine?  Do I need to worry about the printcap?  Does samba
have anything to do with this? Do I need to list all acceptable printing
machines by machine name in my hosts.lpd file?

Also, the default printer on my applications seems to be set by printcap -- I
must change them manually.  Any way to pre-set pdq in them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Robert Maynord