Re: [seul-edu] Networking Printers

Rob,

I guess I must have missed your earlier posts about your network.  What is it?
Samba based with Windoze computers or all Linux?

I run printing for our whole school which is Samba servered with Win clients.  I
use an old 486 as a printserver for the student lab and school that has various
printers hooked to it and one that is servers via the LAN - an HP 2100N.  I just
use lpr and things have worked great for me so far.  The only thing I have not
tried to do is accounting of sorts, I just log who uses the printers each day to
get an idea of student use, but no knowledge of pages printed.  I have the one
color printer set for only the teachers, and all password checking is done via the
main file/login server.

If this is anything like what you're trying to do, let me know and I'll put my two
cents in.  I often feel like I can't offer much in the group (yet), but thought I
might be able to take a stab at this one.

Ryan Booz
Belleville Mennone School