Re: [seul-edu] (FWD) I'm new.

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Doug Loss wrote:

> Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
> > From: tom@defenestrated.net
> > To: seul-edu@seul.org
> > Subject: I'm new.
> >
> > Hi, I'm Tom. I am the Technology coordinator at a small private school in
> > Connecticut(westoverschool.org). I also do web/db stuff for epie.org.
> > I am very interested in developing linux/gnu based applications for k12
> > education. My school currently uses linux for apache/mysql, network
> > monitoring, and appletalk services. By the end of the week ( before school
> > starts), I hope to be using linux for DCHP SAMBA and DNS as well for
> > diskless workstations. I am very interested in working on a linux
> > distibution tailored for k12 schools.
>
> Welcome, Tom.  We have a number of people here who can help with setting up
> XTerminals using Linux, as well as the standard server backend stuff.  What
> kind of apps were you interested in working on?  As for a Linux distro
> tailored for education, we talked about that a while age, but I think we
> pretty much agreed to be distribution-agnostic so as to make our work as
> widely applicable as possible.

Are you talking Diskless stations (ie P75+ 32-64MB ram) running
applications on the workstation, but the files on the server, or are you
talking about XTerms, ie everything running on the server?

We have setup a number of diskless stations, but really don't have the
server resources, or the lowend workstations to setup Xterms.

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 202-OSEF (6733)