Re: [seul-edu] SEUL Licensing (was: Our presence at trade shows)

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Bill Ries-Knight writes:
>  > A thought on the FREE educational software.....
>  >
>  > If we expect ALL developers of software <ANY> to NEVER expect a return for
>  > the time and energy spent developing <ANY> software, how many developers
>  > will develop <ANY> software?
>  >
>  > The concept of free means there is an economic trade-off at some point.  The
>  > question is this:  Do we expect educational software developers to develop
>  > TOP QUALITY software because they have a big heart and a big pocket?  It
>  > takes time awy from family, friends, or paying work to develop software.
>  > There is a loss of time , money or relationships.  Should we require this
>  > loss?
>
> Hum, you are right but then how GNU, Linux, Gnome, KDE come true?
>
> The KDE people did'nt say: "Ok we've developed the Desktop, so we will
> stop there and will not develop a free office suite"

The point is there is a deep internal drive that has led these projects to
completion.  I cannot say what motivated the persons involved, but it was strong.
The individuals all CHOSE to follow that path, they were not required to do so.

> Getting a free system is a constant work, step by step, started 16
> years ago. Why should we get an execption concerning education.

We should accept what is freely given, and not DEMAND that everyone give
everything.

Regards,
Bill