Re: [seul-edu] SEUL Application Index

At 08:22 AM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Les Richardson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a very rough first cut of databased SEUL application index using
>> perl and MySQL. It is located at:
>>
>> http://richtech.ca/seul
>>
>> Any suggestions welcome; just remember I just got most of data converted,
>> etc. Pointing out of Data errors would be most useful. I will correct the
>> master and then re-import all data.(or fix the filter routine.)
>>

>A few observations.  The date field is a number that doesn't obviously
>represent a date.

Don't worry. Will reformat.

>Most people looking at these records won't know how to
>interpret it.  The license field evidently cut off entries at a certain
>number of characters.

Yes, only allowed for 20 characters.(I'll increase to 30 or so)  This will
have to be standardized so that they can be searched. They are:

GPL
GPL variant.
MPL
MPL variant.
Artistic License (ie. Perl)
Public Domain
Shareware
Commercial
Other

What else?
(What is MPL? like BSD licensing? (i.e. you can make this code commercial?)

>Some of the review text didn't come across
>clean (that's understandable, since some of it had a bunch of HTML code
>embedded).

I've got to go back through and recheck conversion code. Something wonky
there.

> Also, the edit routine didn't work.  I didn't try the delete,
>since I didn't want to actually delete anything.

Yes. I don't want anything edited until I'm sure conversion routine working
ok (i.e. reviews section) I'll drop the delete function, except for
administrative users. The edit function will be a 2 step process that won't
really "take effect" until ok'd by admin. How does that sound?

  I noticed that none of the
>records that had "Download": entries rather than "Homepage:" entries showed
>those entries.

Correct. The 14 ftp download records I didn't convert in this run, since I
had a problem with them. I will fix for the next run.

I also have to add the categorization next, with another perl script. (once
I'm happy with the data conversion.)

Les Richardson