Re: [seul-edu] Linux in educational computing

Randy Edwards wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
>    I want to pick some brains here, if I might.
>
>    I'm a former computer consultant turned educator turned technology
> coordinator who went back into corporate IT as an SE a couple of years
> ago. The company I worked for imploded and so I find myself
> unemployed.  I've toyed with the idea of doing consulting again but
> "mainstream" consulting doesn't really appeal to me.  However, the
> idea of using GNU/Linux in education definitely does, so I'm toying
> with ideas of how to combine the two.
>
>    What I'm playing with is ideas of using GNU/Linux in education.
> The area where I live is northern New England, very rural, very poor
> computing infrastructure in schools, and a low level of tech use in
> schools.  I'm looking to fill a niche implementing Linux-based
> solutions.  By combining Linux's stability and free software
> apps/tools, I know it'll be an attractive solution.
>
>    Based on my experience, schools are ignorant of the advantages of
> free software, whether it's lower hardware requirements, avoidance of
> licensing issues, educational/technological empowerment, straight
> costs, or what have you.  The general attitude is "these computers are
> a pain in the butt to keep running" and "everybody uses Windows so
> it's popular and the best thing to use."  These are schools where a
> second grader playing a game on a CD-ROM is considered a "good use" of
> technology -- so Linux's inability to run Windows programs is a
> definite drawback.
>
>    Well, I'm babbling; cutting to the bone, I'm looking for advice on
> two points:
>
> #1: What Linux-based solutions do you see as "mandatory" for a typical
> school to implement?  What tools/software will really "wow" a
> reluctant administrator (either tech administrator or educational
> administrator)?  Can you give me some examples?
>
> #2: What are good ways to approach/market to schools?  Seeing as
> schools will have to commit to converting (read: hassle and
> retraining) to GNU/Linux, or to run both Windows/Linux in tandem, a
> school is going to need a good pitch to convert.  And considering many
> of the tech coords around here are wildly overworked tackling another
> project isn't at the top of their list.  Does anyone have any
> strategies or tactics that can work for this?
>
>    War stories, examples, thinking aloud -- I'd love to hear it.
> You'll get bonus points for hard data and anything I can massage into
> use in an above-mentioned business, if you have any...
>
>    Okay, I lied.  I've got another question.  I'm toying with the idea
> of doing a project in a school as a real and local example/demo.  Does
> anyone have any ideas on what would make a good demo project?
>
>    Thanks in advance.

I found this to be a compelling reason NOT to run windows:
http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0812.install.html

(Linux is easier)

also, you might try handing out tons of demolinux CDroms, these can be
customized easily for your needs such as adding educational apps, and
clients can run from the cdrom to try it out without touching the
windows install.
http://www.demolinux.org/

and of course http://seul.org/edu/ has all kinds of apps to use for
education with linux.