Re: [seul-edu] Linux in educational computing

For the most part questions are answered above yours
Q1

I am not an expert on school requirements but

Linux for kids has some really nice software,  tuxtyping is a real treat i
like it because it's simple and nice to use and from the kids pov it would
be fun to use,  and teaches them to type.  Depending on the hardware go for
say KDE or GNOME,  window managers, or something like icewm for older
machines (it looks like windows with a start button).   Most distros come
with a wealth of software,  with tux typing it's available for both windows
and Linux,  so you really need demonstate linux only stuff, to wow people,
(I will leave it to the group to suggest titles etc)  kstars is a nice
astronomy package,  katomic is good for older children learning chemistry
mainly organic chemistry I would think.  Demonstrate for example the Suse
software install routines, click on what you want to install,  and it does
it for you, and just asks for different cdroms,  of course on a network you
would have a server with all these cd's copies to one place so point yast at
that place,  and it won't even ask for the cd's.  alternativly,  install
from DVD.

> > #1: What Linux-based solutions do you see as "mandatory" for a typical
> > school to implement?  What tools/software will really "wow" a reluctant
> > administrator (either tech administrator or educational administrator)?
> > Can you give me some examples?

Q2
Probably get a good laptop, install Linux and set it up in such a way that
it looks really nice,  but don't go overboard in terms of adding features,
or setting up transparent console windows,  keep it simply,  KDE and I guess
GNOME are impressive on their own,  so throw in a few nice applications like
tuxtyping, or whatever koffice, open office, etc,  and as the laptop is
portable you can demonstrate the software,  and tell people that it's free
to use.

> > #2: What are good ways to approach/market to schools?  Seeing as schools
> > will have to commit to converting (read: hassle and retraining) to
> > GNU/Linux, or to run both Windows/Linux in tandem, a school is going to
> > need a good pitch to convert.  And considering many of the tech coords
> > around here are wildly overworked tackling another project isn't at the
top
> > of their list.  Does anyone have any strategies or tactics that can work
> > for this?

To answer this I guess the fact it's free software will get them interested.

> >     War stories, examples, thinking aloud -- I'd love to hear it.
You'll
> > get bonus points for hard data and anything I can massage into use in an
> > above-mentioned business, if you have any...

In terms of a project,  firstly don't get over your head, get a set of
computer at home and set up a simple network,  with printer and a machine to
act as gateway, and filter,  (have a list of adult sites to hand to
demonstrate this actually works properly).  set about building the network,
either use new desktop machines or older ones running LTSP,  if you want to
set up a simple suite,  then this should be easy enough,  work with the
local user group, perhaps they could help set things up,  it would be a nice
vacation project and a opportunity to meet up,  and play with Linux,
involve the co-ordinator,  and allow him or her hands on help with the
installs,  (they learn that way).

If you set it up at home then just move and reassemble,  in terms of getting
computers,  how do schools feel about second hand stuff,  write to local
companies explain your intention and ask for sponsorship, donation of old
kit,  etc  in return for say,  stickers on the front saying "Kindly supplied
/ sponsored by acme co ") not sure about the rules on advertising but this
would not be,  after all most computers have the suppliers logo on them and
the windows machines have the windows splash screen.  In this case you would
be giving the name of the people who supply the hardware,

Working with the local lug,  also means you have other expertise the it
co-ordinator and decision makers can chat to.   You should also be able to
use say kpresenter or the presentation too in open office to give a good
quality presentation.

> >     Okay, I lied.  I've got another question.  I'm toying with the idea
of
> > doing a project in a school as a real and local example/demo.  Does
anyone
> > have any ideas on what would make a good demo project?
> >
> >     Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps,  let me know how you get on and best of luck,

Paul