Re: [seul-edu] Linux in educational computing

El vie, 16-08-2002 a las 18:34, Randy Edwards escribió:

Hi, Randy

I work for a small IT company in Seville (Spain) and this year we're
going to start working on free software based computer rooms for
schools. We don't have a working classroom yet, but we've done a lot of
thinking and a few schools are looking forward to working with us next
year.

> #2: What are good ways to approach/market to schools?  Seeing as schools will
> have to commit to converting (read: hassle and retraining) to GNU/Linux, or to
> run both Windows/Linux in tandem, a school is going to need a good pitch to
> convert.  And considering many of the tech coords around here are wildly
> overworked tackling another project isn't at the top of their list.  Does
> anyone have any strategies or tactics that can work for this?

We tell them that kids need more than learning how to use Word+Excel+IE.
In fact, some schools have difficulties in planning their computer
lessons, as children get bored of doing the same things they do at home.
They _do_ know how to use Word+Excel*IE already.

So, we give them the chance to switch to free software. Children can
still learn how to use word processing, or surf the Internet, but they
are also able to benefit from the 1000s educational aplications and
games available. There are Windows emulators too, but we try to aviod
using them.

Moreover, collaborative work is easily brougth into the classroom thanks
to tools like weblogs, groupware applications, mailing lists, etc. And
this _is_ good education for kids, more important and valuable than just
learning how to indent paragraphs. And this is the way free software
community works.

It's also adviceable to point out that public administrations
(governments, UE...) are lately realizing that free software is a valid
alternative to propietary software, specially in areas like Education.

Of course, tell them all the things you mentioned. Licensing issues are
critical, as most schools we've visited, even though they simply _don't_
purchase MS licenses, would be glad to become legal again.

And don't forget to insist on the fact that they'll never see virus
again!

I have some material (slide presentations and stuff), but only in
Spanish :-(

> #1: What Linux-based solutions do you see as "mandatory" for a typical school
> to implement?  What tools/software will really "wow" a reluctant administrator
> (either tech administrator or educational administrator)?  Can you give me
> some examples?

Teachers demand tools to control and monitor what kids do out there in
the Internet. Take a look at Censornet
(http://www.intrago.co.uk/products/censornet.php), for example.

Of course, you want tools to help teachers maintain the network, altough
you possibly want to get money for doing such a job! :-)

You need educational applications. Seul Application Index is the place
to go (http://richtech.ca/seul/).

To set up the network, there are several options. We'll start with a
clint-server Linux only architecture, with a powerful server running all
the services. Possibly, we'll install fully funcional Linux systems in
modern clients and only X servers in old machines, but we still wave to
work around that.

Surely I forget a lot of things, but I hope you found it useful.

Regards,

--
Daniel Carrión Reinoso
YACO S.L.