Re: Developers tools?

Roman Suzi wrote:

> hi, all!
>
> Probably, this is wrong list to ask, but I'd really like people
> to collect data not only on  ready-made  educational  programs,
> but on development tools, suitable to write them.

All--

It seems to me there is a lot of bandwidth being taken up concerning what
development tools to use, what languages, etc.  It's a bit difficult to
decide on these issues if a concrete set of objectives or goals is
absent.  Plus, I believe by mandating a certain language or development
tool as a requirement towards reaching a particular goal is a big
mistake, and will be detrimental towards generating developer interest in
on-going projects.

The existing development tools out there are certainly sufficient to
produce quality software.  If SEUL chooses to limit itself to a
particular genre of software development (i.e., all applications are to
be multimedia capable, developed using X toolkit and script/language Y),
I foresee otherwise willing developers going elsewhere to volunteer their
services.

I'd recommend focusing on a set of software implementation goals, without
imposing burdensome restrictions on how those goals are to be met.
Interest in this endeavor will probably start to wane if the goal
selection process is dragged out to the nth degree.

  --Brian