Linux in education advocacy side Re: Edutainment

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Bill Tihen wrote:

Hi all,

>I guess "easy" is all in how one looks at it.  But here's how I define it
>-- for better or worse.  Is the system similar to what they are used to --
>compared to Macs and Windows.
>Specifically:
>	o Can they tweak the user interface simply?
In Gnome it is even easier that in Win...

>	o Can they manage files simply and graphically?
This I can't understand. It's a headache to manage files graphically.
Much easier to do it by norton-like app. I saw many people
working with norton or far in win95

>	o Can they have access to a server graphically and easily?
This is up to setup!

>	o Can they have access to the floppy drive graphically and easily?
"graphical" mount/umount is up to setup/administrator.

>	o Is there a word process that behaves in a standard way that double
>	  spaces and uses RTF format?
Hmmm... StarOffice?

>	o Is normal productivity software available?
>	o Are there books available that describe the user interface so that
>	  students can learn the OS on their own -- this is important because
>	  at the moment my students are grouped by language ability not
>	  computer skills.  (So I have some just learning which way a floppy
>	  fits in a computer -- some learning productivity software, some
>	  learning how to buy computers, some learning HTML/DHTML and some
>	  learning Java.  They must be able to work on their own and I help
>	  students as needed.  (I have 30 students in a class).  A bit rough,
>	  but that's life.
This is really a weak point, I admit... 95% of all books are
concerned to teach users how to use win 95 "graphically".
And still those users are dummies in mass... (no offend meant)

>	o Can I secure the system without obscurity and still have an easily
> 	  adjustable user and easy to use interface.
>
>Administratively I define it differently, but I won't go into that.

We looks onto pure OS.  If  the  administator  write  a  simple
program to mount/umount, to  connect/disconnect  -  two  points
from the above list will not be lacking in Linux!

As for do it all graphically, I think it is a big question mark
here.

For example, many people here not so long ago worked  with  DOS
and Norton. They will be happier in MC, than in Explorer!

They have F3,F4,F5,F8 in their blood already!

And don't forget you are teaching YOUNG people. They  are  more
flexible in their ways. And it is not so important for them  if
they do it this way or that.

I am working in  the  teachers'  training  institute.  We  have
different people. Some of them aren't able to  grasp  even  the
graphics ideas! They don't remember how to insert the diskette!

So, it seems, they need totally different kind of interface:  a
constant dialog box into which they could type  their  requests
in plain language ;-)

I don't know, probably people who use hierogliphic  writing  is
more comfortable with GUI: they are used to  totally  different
way of perception...

*

My idea is that Linux is a must in Math dept.!  Mathematics  is
something where pupils must learn language ways to define their
goals and not just a drink-machine interface:

 [o] Lemon
 [o] Kiwi
 [o] Tomato
 [o] Return my money

So, its time for your Chair to rethink their decision  if  they
are concerned with Math education...

To add to the shame, I must add that all  major  math  packages
(except for Mathcad?) are  now  available  for  Linux  or  were
available all the time!

So probably a good  approach  is  to  drop-by-drop  change  the
attitude to Linux of those profs by telling success stories  or
something like them. This way it is  possible  to  slowly  turn
them on our side. (But it must be very subtle  psychologically!
Don't even mention Linux at first, only UNIX or Solaris.)  Once
turned, they will remain loyal a very very long time.

>As for exactly, why my dept. Chair is afraid I can't say.  The above
>represents my criteria.  Some of the above Linux shines in other areas it
>doesn't.  I also know that many people see computers as a magic box and
>they don't like changes because the magic incantations don't work anymore

*

Well, its not a right thread to discuss in this list.  So,  let
me add to the topic.

As a maintainer of a web-site  targeted  to  promote  Linux  in
russian education, I am concerned with  Pros  and  Contras  for
Linux.

My most painful Contras are not GUI or "easy of install", but:
 1 - lack of edu apps
 2 - lack of internalization in existing software

So, right now I can't  recommend  Linux  for  desktop  use  (in
russian schools): only as server or dual boot.

I really hope this will change!

In case of Linux the best policy to advocate it is honesty.
Except for the difference in tastes (like  win  GUI  vs.  gnome
GUI), everything else is usually very clear.

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --