Re: Linux in education advocacy side Re: Edutainment

> >       o Is there a word process that behaves in a standard way that double
> >         spaces and uses RTF format?
> Hmmm... StarOffice?

Corel has ported WordPerfect to Linux.  A nice port, rumor has it Corel
will be distributing it at no cost (right now it can be downloaded on an
evaluation basis).

> >       o Is normal productivity software available?

Applixware comes to mind (spreadsheet, word processor, DB manager, file
manager).

> >       o Can I secure the system without obscurity and still have an easily
> >         adjustable user and easy to use interface.

A major fallacy in today's computer culture is that graphical user
interfaces are the *only* way to present information to the user.  There
are many users who find GUI's cumbersome and non-intuitive.
Unfortunately, the great marketing machine of M$ has sold the public on
its idea of what it thinks the public needs to have in a GUI-based o/s,
and old habits are hard to break.

> As for do it all graphically, I think it is a big question mark
> here.

You can put a window frame around just about anything.  With Perl/Tk (or
your favorite scripting language), you could write a small script to
accomplish o/s tasks in minutes.

> And don't forget you are teaching YOUNG people. They  are  more
> flexible in their ways. And it is not so important for them  if
> they do it this way or that.

A very good point!  It's time people realize that the M$ way is not the
only game in town, and that there are far better, more productive
alternatives.

--Brian Koontz      --
--Routech, Inc.     --
--briank@routech.com--