perl and gtk

hi,

I added myself to this list thinking people here would
actually care about what sort of apps are being written
for end user unix/linux education.  I can see already
that this is not the case.

You people seem more interested in disscusing languages
that you haven't used or won't use or chase tangets
that really don't relate the end user applications.

we all want to see applications that can be used in an
educational environment.  I can know that none of
us really know what language or toolkit is really
the best for these kind of applications.

how about we actually code something in perl/tk
or perl/gtk or c++/qt or what have you.

Then lets see which is the best. :)

Likewise if the people on this list can't code,
why not design the applications you want?  Maybe some
coder will come along and code the app.  It is
unlikely but atleast you will have done something
worthwhile.

for my gradebook app someone mentioned a spreedsheet
like gradebook would be very nice.  OF COURSE IT WOULD
BE NICE.  That is why i, as a coder and designer, am
trying to make the system work as close to a spreedsheet
as possible.  Likewise having a database backend is nice,
so i am doing that as well.

I guess what i am tring to say is:

1. If you can't code then design but, don't bitch about
a language or a toolkit.

2. If you can't design but can code then write an application
someone has already designed.  Use any language or toolkit
you want.

3. if you can do both, don't just sit there on your ass. :)
And, when you are done you can tell us just how damn fine
some toolkit or language is.

how does this all relate to perl/gtk?  well i have used it
and find it works nice.

--matt wimer