Re: perl and gtk

Matt Wimer wrote:

> I added myself to this list thinking people here would
> actually care about what sort of apps are being written
> for end user unix/linux education.  I can see already
> that this is not the case.

Matt, I don't think you've given us much of a chance there.  We are
actively looking for and compiling a list of programs useful for
education, and a list of things no one has yet found that people would
like to see.  If you'll read through our archives and look for messages
with subjects like "pointers and wishes" you'll see them.

> You people seem more interested in disscusing languages
> that you haven't used or won't use or chase tangets
> that really don't relate the end user applications.

Again that isn't entirely fair.  There is some discussion going on at
the moment, but given the holiday season and the youth of the list
(barely one month old) I think that's not unreasonable.  I expect to see
some actual code getting written fairly soon after the holidays.

> how about we actually code something in perl/tk
> or perl/gtk or c++/qt or what have you.
>
> Then lets see which is the best. :)

I don't think this is about competition.  I don't care whose program is
"best," so long as we get programs that meet expressed needs.

> Likewise if the people on this list can't code,
> why not design the applications you want?  Maybe some
> coder will come along and code the app.  It is
> unlikely but at least you will have done something
> worthwhile.

And in fact there are people on this list right now designing the
applications we have mentioned here.  We'll see if the coders who are
already on the list latch on to those designs and work on them, but
we're already doing what you're talking about.

> I guess what i am tring to say is:
>
> 1. If you can't code then design but, don't bitch about
> a language or a toolkit.

Criticism is useful so long as it's intended to make the object
criticized stronger.  If not, then it might be fairly characterized as
"bitching," but I don't see any of that right now.

> 2. If you can't design but can code then write an application
> someone has already designed.  Use any language or toolkit
> you want.
>
> 3. if you can do both, don't just sit there on your ass. :)
> And, when you are done you can tell us just how damn fine
> some toolkit or language is.

I agree with both these points, although I'd probably put them
differently.

--
Doug Loss                 It is impossible to imagine Goethe
Data Network Coordinator  or Beethoven being good at billiards