Re: Stock programs, databases

>> Wil, are you familiar with Perl CGI scripts and DB connectivity?
>> That should about cover it.  This really will be a simple program
>> (I think).
>
>You might find that PHP/3.0 is a good idea on this one.  It requires
>that the web server know about it, but database connections and
>queries are a breeze and the syntax is a lot like perl.  The advantage
>is that forms and such are a lot easier when your code is embedded in
>the HTML (on the server side).

I've been needing to learn something.  I tried Doc Welder without much
success, and I've coded my own relatively simple Perl scripts, which cut
out 95% of the time I used to spend making updates, but I haven't found
the right tool for the job yet.  I appreciate the recommendation of PHP.
I'll check it out.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please let me know at
<wil@langford.net>.  I'll post a sentence or two in the Development Tools
section of the software list.

The software list should be going up RSN.  I recently suffered the
beginnings of motherboard death and the death of a hard drive on the same
day.  I'm compiling SSH in the background and should have the list out
there in the next few days, hardware willing.

This has been a disorganized status report by Wil.  Any resemblance to
sanity is purely coincidental.

I'm not schooled in the science of human factors, but I suspect surprise
is not an element of a robust user interface.  - Chip Rosenthal