Re: [seul-edu] doc standard instead of Software standard?

I don't mind people using their favorite word processor,
I just wish we could all share documents (and share
safely for that matter).  Without incompatibility or
aging problems.

Quoting Mike Lamasney <lamasney@mlode.com>:

> I've found that picking or suggesting a change in a
word processor is
> much like politics or religion.  In a word or two,
forget it.  Design
> the system to accommodate the conversion; there is no
other practical
> solution _other_ than supporting only one and telling
users they're on
> their own for support of the others.  Sorry.
> 	Mike
>
> At 08:47 AM 12/11/1999 +0800, you wrote:
> > > I was wondering if anybody has tried standardizing
the format that
> > > one saves documents in.  For example using RTF so
that any word
> > > processor can use it.
> > >
> > > Ideas on how to impliment (and convert to) a
document standard will
> > > help me deploy Linux boxes much more easily.  And
will simplify
> > > many of our school's document incompatibility
problems.

> >We've got the same problem here. In Asia, the
headmaster of the french
> >schools communicate by email but they don't stop
sending WinWord files
> >where RTF will be enought. I've send them all a
message explaining
> >that sending WinWord file by email is not a very good
idea but they
> >don't seem to understand. May be french people need
advice that come
> >from the top hierarchy :)
> >
> >Hilaire

TASIS (The American School In Switzerland)
Lugano-Montagnola, Switzerland
<http://www.tasis.ch/>