Re: [seul-edu] appropriate lightweight distribution

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 cfm@maine.com wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 07:33:40AM +0800, Keir and Robyn wrote:
> > I am planning on rebirthing some decrepid P133 16MB 1GB Windows machines as
> > Linux word processing and internet terminals.  Can anyone recommend a
> > distribution?  I was planning on using Red Hat, since it seems the most
> > widely available, but someone suggested that it might be too large and that
> > I should try a ?light weight? distribution such as Slackware.  I was unaware
> > that there were any differences in distributions from a hardware requirement
> > standpoint.  Can anyone suggest a distribution for this purpose?

I would use the one you are most familiar with. If you aren't familiar
with any then use Debian; it is easy to use. Or if you want something
really lean, use NetBSD or OpenBSD.

The differences between distributions for hardware support is very slim --
or non-existent if they use same kernel, drivers and software.

> P133 will work, 16MB will work only in console mode, forget X.  More
> ram and you could run X but your would need more disk too, or NFS.

I have ran Debian Linux with X with 256MB drive and 8MB of ram (on a
couple old 486's).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/