Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge initial public announcement

Hi Doug,

Eric and I are getting closer to a new release of K12LTSP and K12LINUX.
We will have updated our site with new tutorials and install
instructions at the same time. Most of this should be done over the
X-mas break.

My goal is to have 4 directions a school can take from our site:

1. Download and install K12LTSP - with tutorials and sample configurations

2. Download and install K12Linux (stand alone workstation) with sample
configurations.

3. Cookbooks for school server services (web, samba, mail, etc...) using
Red Hat 7.2 with tutorials and sample configurations. Our on-line
administration tutorial will be part of this section.

4. Adding / developing software packages -- We won't go there at all
except to link other schoolforge project and provide a few examples of
how schools could go there and install some of the software.

I have no idea how we're going to do all of this in two weeks but that's
our goal anyway. It would be great to time the release of the next
K12LTSP with SchoolForge. Let's keep tracking and see how it goes.

;-) Paul

Doug Loss wrote:

> I've been thinking about how and when we should announce Schoolforge
> to the world.  I think it's too late for us to make such an
> announcement before the new year, as all the end of year festivities
> would drown out such an announcement.  So let's think about making
> such an announcement in say the second week of the new year, between
> January 7 and January 11.  That should give us time to get the
> website in a nice condition and to gather a few more initial member
> groups.  We should probably also set up whatever Schoolforge mailing
> lists (as opposed to member lists) we feel we need.  Does anyone
> have an opinion on what the best day of the week to make
> announcements such as this is?
>
> I sent an invitation (similar to what I sent to the various distros)
> to a contact Roger and I have at IBM.  It would be nice if they
> indicated some support.  We'll see what happens.
>
> One more time: is anyone interested in being "the voice of
> Schoolforge" on LinuxRadio?  Let me know sooner rather than later.
>
> --
> Doug Loss                 All I want is a warm bed
> Data Network Coordinator  and a kind word and
> Bloomsburg University     unlimited power.
> dloss@bloomu.edu                Ashleigh Brilliant

Paul Nelson................................pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale School..............11733 SW Breyman Ave. Portland, OR 97219
(503)636-4511......fax(503)635-6342.....http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us