Re: [seul-edu] Newsgroups? Do we have a newsgroup server?

Les Richardson wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to setup a newsgroup server to
> allow us to have a more permanent record (although of course there do
> exist archives of the listserv) easily accessible to all and sundry?

I personally like USENET as a communications system, but how many people
use it these days (or even know about it)?  Would we gain any benefit
over using mailing lists with MHonArc as an archiving system?  Of
course, with newsgroups anyone who finds the server can post to any
group, which may ease subscription problems.  On the other hand, that's
why newsgroups generally get overwhelmed with spam, flames, and
off-topic posts.

> Just a thought... (I'm reading Jon Udell's book on "Internet Groupware";
> he thinks its important to create these kind of repositories of "wit
> and wisdom" (he calls them "docbases") that can be scanned later and even
> made searchable with indexing, etc. etc.)

Again, if we made our mailing list archives searchable wouldn't that
give us the same effect?

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--