Re: [seul-edu] K-12 LTSP

At 19:15 30-11-02 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Is this a common occurance?  One of my students was tasked with installing
an
>Linux Terminal Server in one of our classrooms.  It seems the classroom
>computers are simply unable to run Windows 2000, but will make nice X
>terminals.
>
>Anyway, said student grabbed K-12 LTSP as the basis for the installation.
The
>documentation seemed unclear, and the kernels included would not boot.  The
>target systems are HP Vectra 3s with upgrade 200 Pentium processors.  Now I
>realize these are not the friendliest systems to work upon, but this
>perserverant lad spent well over 30 hours trying to get this to work.
>
>Yesterday we downloaded the standard LTSP binaries and had a working
system in
>less than an hour.
>
>Thus the question, is K-12 LTSP broken, or is it our hardware that is so
>flakey as to be unusable for their pre-compiled kernels?
>
>--
>jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
>                jeff.williams@cuw.edu

Hi Jeff,
Maybe it's common maybe it's not. I had a lot of trouble getting LTSP to
work. So I downloaded K-12 LTSP. I installed it on a test box (P3 550, 132
mb RAM). The hardest part was changing the CD's :-). Then I started a
terminal (an old P200 Dell) and in half a minute I had a beautiful K12
starting screen. I logged in and could start Abiword and did some typing.
So, no trouble here, we are convinced!
Kind regards,
Dirk