Re: LINUX Advocacy : IBM to sell Linux on computers servicedby Red Hat]

At the moment I have 15 NTW4SP3 (some have SP4 though) -- they are all
older 486s and 586 with 16MB of RAM.  They are slow, but they work.  I have
a Linux server running Apache, lots of compilers, bind, dhcpd, sendmail,
and samba hopefully (probably forgot some other services too, but all the
stuff to simulate an Internet -- no INN yet though).  Eventually perhaps
vnc too so that students can have a reasonably easy interface to Linux and
then use all the compilers I have installed.  This would be expecially nice
for the java programers so that they can try out their graphical
interfaces.  However, I am worried about the resources vnc uses.  VNC might
infact be necessary, so that the students can use gimp.  We just don't have
the money to buy graphical programs for the windows machines.  At some
point I will also have to get samba working to do application sharing too
-- I have to get StarOffice running on the computers, but it doesn't like
secured harddrives, so I have to install it on the server, or open the
harddrives (at least the directory StarOffice is installed into -- I don't
know how they came up with that requirement!  The Linux of staroffice
version is almost equally stupid to install for multiple people -- too bad
applixware is more expensive).