Re: [seul-edu] Linux boxes and a win2k server

At 06:59 PM 2/15/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I'm teaching in a mission school in Niger and I've inherited an LAN of 12 of
>win98/win2k machines, in a network with a win2k server taking the DNS,
>DHCP and log on chores and some file serving.  To this mix I would like to
>add a couple of linux machines to serve web pages and perhaps do some
>modem sharing between some of the win machines.  By doing this, I will
>also be exposing some sixty students to Linux and the rest of the staff and
>administration of the school as well.
>
>Having only used linux on a peer to peer networking situations I need some
>guidence as to how to get the Linux box to get DNS and DHCP services
>from the win2k server.
>
>The machine in questions will be 75-100MHz Pentiums with 32-48 MB
>Ram.........no X GUI
>
>Specifically I need to know:
>1 >> What things (/etc files?  config files?) do I need to change to get
the IP
>address for the linux boxes from the win2k server?  Is there some client I
need
>to have running?

I would suggest that you don't use DHCP is you want to use these linux
boxes as routers to the outside world (ie. share modems). Simply set them
to use static IP addresses.  With 12 machines I don't see _any_ need for DHCP.

>2>>  How do I get the DNS information automatically from the win2k server
>instead of having to put it in /etc/hosts?

Set your /etc/resolv.conf to use the win2k box as DNS server.
(ie. nameserver 192.168.1.x)  where 192.etc is ip address of win2k box.

>3>> When this is done, will logging on to the linux box also give me
access to
>my network resources on the win2k server?  (assuming a working samba
>config)

See my previous emails about this. There are several options including
setting up NIS on Winbox (the cleanest approach I think) to using samba
with pam files.

Les Richardson
H. Hardcastle School
Edam, Sk. Canada