Re: [seul-edu] Linux boxes and a win2k server

On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 12:25:40PM -0600, Les Richardson wrote:
> At 06:59 PM 2/15/02 +0100, you wrote:
> >Greetings,
> >
> >I'm teaching in a mission school in Niger and I've inherited an LAN of 12 of
> >win98/win2k machines, in a network with a win2k server taking the DNS,
> >DHCP and log on chores and some file serving.  To this mix I would like to
> >add a couple of linux machines to serve web pages and perhaps do some
> >modem sharing between some of the win machines.  By doing this, I will
> >also be exposing some sixty students to Linux and the rest of the staff and
> >administration of the school as well.
> >
> >Having only used linux on a peer to peer networking situations I need some
> >guidence as to how to get the Linux box to get DNS and DHCP services
> >from the win2k server.
> >
> >The machine in questions will be 75-100MHz Pentiums with 32-48 MB
> >Ram.........no X GUI
> >
> >Specifically I need to know:
> >1 >> What things (/etc files?  config files?) do I need to change to get
> >     the IP address for the linux boxes from the win2k server?  Is there
> >     some client I need to have running?
>
> I would suggest that you don't use DHCP is you want to use these linux
> boxes as routers to the outside world (ie. share modems). Simply set them
> to use static IP addresses.  With 12 machines I don't see _any_ need for DHCP.

Actually, it is *always* better to run DHCP unless we are dealing with only
1 machine :-).  If you want to have the machines to have only "static IPs",
as it were, then gather the different machine's ethernet addresses and enter
them into the dhcp config file allocating them an IP along the way.  Then
when these machines (who would ask for IP via dhcp anyway) boot up, they
will always get the same IP.  You also have better control of your network
by denying access to any machine that attaches to it whose ethernet address
you do not have listed.

Harish

--
Harish Pillay 9v1hp, Chief Technology Officer
I Q m i n d . c o m -- Where Learning Never Ceases