[seul-edu] Good news and a request

In Wisconsin (USA), the state government has decided that it is time to add non-proprietary systems to it's bid list for K-12.  The plan as I understand it so far is to provide bid specs which will allow vendors to bid computer hardware (including white box) with OS and software.  The new bid specs should allow a vendor who is willing to learn and support OSS compete in an arena which has primarily been limited to MS and Apple.

While schools have always been able to purchase such systems on their own, there hasn't been the protection and cost savings of a state contract.  With a state contract, important issues like support and minimum warranty terms are possible.  Also prices should be lower due to the potential of a larger market.

The problem...

I am a member of the working group responsible for specifying hardware, OS and software "packages" for the bid specs.  While this is a great opportunity to expose Wisconsin schools to Linux, it is turning out to be a little more challenging than you might expect.

Anyone who has been using Linux for a while is familiar with how many options you have and how customizable it is.  You can usually set up a server to match the exact needs of the role it is to take on. Ironically, this is the problem.  Anyone who has had to put public bids out should recognize the danger of being to broad with your bid specification.

Also, if I make recommendations based on the size of our school district, it is likely to be considerable overkill for many districts in the state.

And finally the request...

Would anyone with experience providing Linux servers to schools be willing to help narrow down some specs?  We would like to limit hardware to minimum specifications and not specify brands.  For the OS, we are planning to go with Linux exclusively for now.  For software, we want to specify specific brands/titles at least for now.

I think that workstations specifications are pretty well taken care of, but we still need server "packages" that we can put out for bids.  ie: A "proxy/filtering server package" or a "web server" package.  While it is probably possible to run everything off a single server, that won't make sense for larger districts nor for security reasons.

If you are interested in helping out, please let me know.  When the final specs are completed I'll give the list the details so you can build off them for your own area if you choose to.  (Or maybe even bid on the jobs if you can support Wisconsin schools.)

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Cory Jaeger
Network Manager
D.C. Everest Area School District
Weston, WI