Re: EDUML v0.7

On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 03:31:37PM -0800, Daniel Moore wrote:

> As I'm trying to update (and correct) the DTD for eduml, I came across
> a couple of things:

Thank you very much for taking on the DTD, Daniel!

> 1)  First, greatly improved locale handling!  I was wondering what you
> thought of this idea for handling locales, though:
> <word orig="school" tranlang="fr" tranword="ecole">
> This would be a lot easier from a DTD standpoint.

excellent.  Barring any objections, I have incorporated it in EDUML v.0.8

> 2)  There are a lot of repeated tags that have different attributes,
> and even different types of function.  For example, the 'plo' tag both
> contains a plo, name, alias, and act, and is empty (this is in the
> assessment section).  'group' gets used in multiple ways, as does
> 'category'.

> The problem with this is the DTD only allows for one definition of
> group.  I'm trying to fit all those different behaviors into one
> definition, and having trouble doing so.  Any chance we could change
> some of those tagnames.

I'm learning. Thanks.
<group> in <library> changed to <school-group>
<category> in <library> changed to <library-group>
and oodles of other such changes are made in v0.8

Your comments have caused me to make many changes described at
http://cran.seul.org/~vernier/eduml

I am particularly pleased with EDUML v0.8:
almost no redundancy and yet everyone's requests fit in nicely
it is starting to look elegant or is it just me?

> 3)  I found a validating XML/SGML parser (James Clark's nsgmls) and it
> doesn't like underscores in tag names.  I don't think it has a problem
> with - though.  My book is silent on the matter.

tags with _ have just been tr'd to -
(tell me if that fixes the nsgmls problem)

> Other than that, I think v0.7 is great.  The updated library section
> is pretty cool.  Please keep up the good work.

thanks and thank you for the DTD,

Bruno