(FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Linux community support for education

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:11:21 -0800
From: Bruce Anderson <bganders@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux community support for education
To: seul-edu@seul.org

I had a very good experience last year (Aug 99) with the South Bay LUG.
I was newly hired to put together a computer science program at Westmont
High School in Campbell, CA.  There was no budget to buy anything
although there were 11 old Pentiums.  I sent an email to the LUG and the
following week a whole crew (at least 5) showed up to install Linux and
show me what to do.  They got VALinux to donate a PII server.  I now
have a lab of 36 recycled machines and seem to be able to keep them
going now with only occasional outside help.  They always come through
when I really need them, but they all have high powered jobs in Silicon
Valley and are under a lot of pressure at work so I don't get all the
handholding I might like.  Of course I might get myself to some of the
LUG meetings but I seem to always have papers to grade and lessons to
fabricate.

----- End forwarded message -----