Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: thoughts on teaching programming]

For students who have already decided they will learn how to program
computers if only they can understand how to do it, an adequate response
might be "You can understand how to program in C/C++; here's how."  For
students who haven't decided whether they want to program computers or not,
this response isn't adequate. Students who aren't "retards" and don't need
"dumbed-down" material will tend to ask questions such as (1) Is this
interesting or boring?  (2) Why should I learn this rather than something
else?  (3) Is this worth the time and effort it would take to learn it?
Before I learned to program in Tcl/Tk, I looked into C/C++ and formed the
following conclusions:  (1) Boring.  (2) No good reason that I can think of.
(3) NO!  In the event that I ever modify these conclusions and decide to
learn C/C++, I'm sure I'll be better prepared now that I've learned some
things about programming in a language that gives a quicker and more
satisfactory initial return on the student's investment of time and effort. I
doubt that I'm unique in these respects.

Dave "Pa" McClamrock