[seul-edu] ISO Phase 3

While we still need to get more Phase 1 and 2 evals done on the software in our App Index, I think we have enough apps that have passed Phase 2 that we can begin Phase 3, the packaging of those apps. I think there are three ways to pursue this.

First, we should submit RFPs to Debian for all the apps we'd like to have packaged. If someone picks them up and packages them, they'll be available for Debian use (including DebianEdu, of course) and for us to convert to RPMs and TGZs with alien.

Second, we should contact the maintainers of the individual packages and see if they either have already packaged them as DEBs, RPMs, and/or TGZs, or would be interested in doing so. If we can get a substantial number of them to do this it will lessen our workload while giving them more exposure for their work.

Third, we should download and package any remaining Phase 2 apps ourselves. I think we should initially package them as DEBs, then use alien to convert to the other formats. This will allow us to maintain a similarity of process with apps done for the Debian project, and in fact will allow us to contribute to Debian (I think). This will be a good thing for our visibility and good feeling toward us in other parts of the Linux community.

I'd like to have some people from this mailing list volunteer to help do these things. I need someone to go through http://www.seul.org/edu/Phase2.txt and create Debian RFPs for any apps that aren't already in Debian or that don't already have RFPs listed. I also need a few people to locate the maintainers of the apps on the above page and send them a message telling what we're doing and asking them for packaging help with their app. I'll write up a template for this sort of message later.

After we've done all that we should have an idea of how much effort we need to put into the third option I've listed. We'll definitely need some folks to step forward to help with that too.

OK folks, it's time for us all to roll up our sleeves and take on a bit of the workload for this ISO! If we all help, we'll get this accomplished pretty quickly without too much work for any one of us.

--
If this helped you please take the time to rate the value
of this post; just click on the Affero link below.

http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=drloss

Doug Loss Courage is resistance to
Data Network Coordinator fear, mastery of fear --
Bloomsburg University not absence of fear.
dloss@bloomu.edu Mark Twain