Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3

Doug,

From my -- little -- experience with alien, I know there are problem
with the shared libraries when you convert an .deb package to a .rpm
one. If the .deb package of a binary application is prepared on a Debian
system with a library X with a number Y and you want to install it under
a RedHat distro using library X with number Y' the binary may not be
able to link at run time with the library X, number Y'.

I don"t know if there are any solutions to this issue.

With applicaiton written with interpreted language the problem may be
less sensitive.

Hilaire

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:57:18 -0500
Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> wrote:

> While we still need to get more Phase 1 and 2 evals done on the
> software in our App Index, I think we have enough apps that have
> passed Phase 2 that we can begin Phase 3, the packaging of those
> apps.  I think there are three ways to pursue this.
>
> First, we should submit RFPs to Debian for all the apps we'd like
> to have packaged.  If someone picks them up and packages them,
> they'll be available for Debian use (including DebianEdu, of
> course) and for us to convert to RPMs and TGZs with alien.
>
> Second, we should contact the maintainers of the individual
> packages and see if they either have already packaged them as
> DEBs, RPMs, and/or TGZs, or would be interested in doing so.  If
> we can get a substantial number of them to do this it will lessen
> our workload while giving them more exposure for their work.
>
> Third, we should download and package any remaining Phase 2 apps
> ourselves.  I think we should initially package them as DEBs,
> then use alien to convert to the other formats.  This will allow
> us to maintain a similarity of process with apps done for the
> Debian project, and in fact will allow us to contribute to Debian
> (I think).  This will be a good thing for our visibility and good
> feeling toward us in other parts of the Linux community.

I agree totaly.

--
OFSET - http://www.ofset.org
Free the teacher with the Freeduc-cd -