Re: [seul-edu] Site@School V2.1 betatesters needed

Hello Everyone,

Two quick ;-) comments.

Doug et al, thanks so much for the help, info and encouragement you've offered for the past couple of years to me and all the contributors and lurkers on the list, and for the tireless effort it entailed. I've been lurking, feeling guilty about not being able to contribute more. You have helped to sustain my interest in OSS for the educational system by providing a sense of community that has always seemed to me to be international in scope and generous in nature. As my kids age and I seem to have stumbled (up?) into administration, I am endeavouring to realize a goal of incorporating Linux into the educational system of which I am a part. When it happens it will be in no small part due to the sustenance that has been provided by this community.

I can't help but throw in my 2 cents worth. While it may at first blush appear that having english as the new lingua franca (huh?) for business and technology is a benefit for Americans ( and all us other english speaking peoples), I think the benefit works both ways. Dutch and Japanese speakers can communicate without intermediaries, while it gets increasingly difficult for english speakers to practice their second (or third) language skills (except here in Quebec :-). It may sound counter intuitive Hans, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy having everyone switch into Dutch when you were trying to practice your english or spanish. In any case, I've heard many european, latin american, south asian voices on this list, and I've always been impressed by the international flavour of linux distros.

Now you know why I don't post often ;-)
Thanks again,
Gordon

Donald J Christensen wrote:

Hans Paijmans wrote:

Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:47:37 -0500 (EST)