Windows emulation (was Re: My ideas may not be compatible with yours but...)

On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 23:23:46 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Now if we took a free windows one that people were using then these windoze users wouldn't have
> any excuse for not using Linux - it'd be the same software. I think windows compatibility's an
> interesting issue. Schools aren't likely to replace an entire system with Linux so could we try
> to gradually migrate users? Doug, perhaps you could start a polite thread on this - I don't
> want to create any more controversy here.

Well, setting Linux systems up as dual-boot systems with Windows is pretty
common, meaning that the user can choose which OS to use on boot-up.  Also,
there's the WINE project <http://www.winehq.org>, which is working on (more or
less) getting as many Windows programs as possible to run natively on Linux.  And
then there's VMWare, which creates a virtual machine on Linux and lets you
install Windows on that virtual machine.  I believe that Bochs can do this too.
Do we need a thread on this?  Perhaps one on how these possibilities might be
used in an educational setting.

Doug Loss            Democracy substitutes election by the
dloss@csrlink.net    incompetent many for appointment by
(570) 326-3987       the corrupt few.
                        George Bernard Shaw