Re: Promath

thi <ttn@netcom.com> wrote:
>"Odile Bénassy" <obenassy@magic.fr> writes:
>> yet I am still worried with math printing on the screen : I find
>> nothing really satisfactory...
>
>presumably the mathematical expression is stored in some tree-like
>internal form.  probably path of least resistence is to transform it to

>something latex understands and then use latex for layout.  (note that

>tex was originally developed for laying out mathematical expressions,
>among other reasons.)  the output, in dvi format, can then be rendered

>to ps, gif, etc.
>
>a google search on "embedded latex" shows some promising links.

For something more interactive than latex/tex, perhaps the rendering LyX
<http://www.lyx.org> does would be better.  It seems to render equations
fairly attractively, while at a speed that allows interactive editting.
 I don't know how hard it would be to strip this renderer out of LyX,
but if done it could probably create gifs fairly quickly for a browser,
or be integrated into an interactive application.