Re: [seul-edu] Language to teach 10 year olds

chris@yonderway.com said:
>  Please please please I beg you don't bring languages into the
> classroom that will never be used in the real world by paying
> employers.

I disagree. To do a service to people who want to learn programming, you
should teach them programming - the language doesn't matter, it's the
approach and the design which is important.

There's a school of thought which says it's advantageous to use an obscure
language. At University, on the rare occasions on which we had practical
tasks to undertake they involved ML and Modula-3.

I suppose it depends on your intention - if you want to churn out people who
can cobble together python code, teach them python; if you want to produce
programmers, teach them programming.

--
dwmw2