Re: Teaching Linux this summer

This one sounds interesting. I havn't played with either of thsoe text
filters or VNC. I'll look into it. But for the most part, I expect this
class to stay in LINUX 100% of the time since there won't be anything
installed on the Windows side except Imperialism II, which requires the
CDROM.

Randy Edwards wrote:

> > if you don't capture their interest, they will reboot into windows to
> > play games.  perhaps you can align w/ that interest and let them do some
> > game programming.  at the least you can show them some linux games.
>
>    This is an important point.  A high school class I recently taught got
> pretty burnt out on command-line Unix (Linux) during what I call the
> "knowledge" portion of my course.
>
>    I found two remedies: First, I showed them text filters (Valley Girl,
> Cockney, etc.).  For some reason these kids just thought those text filters
> were amazing.  I fent sorry for the poor teachers who from that point onward
> got two versions of student research papers and reports: One ran through the
> Valley Girl filter for laughs, and then the student's "real" report. :-)
>
>    The other amazing "fun" thing for the students was VNC.  I have
> absolutely no games installed on Windows machines, but there are some on the
> Linux servers.  Once they learned VNC and realized that they could turn
> their Win95 client machine into an X terminal and play games, they were
> psyched.  Both exercises proved to be a nice diversion from what can
> otherwise be dry.
>
> --
>  Regards,                | Why would anyone want to run an operating
>  .                       | system that is open source and is developed
>  Randy                   | by hundreds of hackers worldwide? Find out
>  (redwards@golgotha.net) | why at http://www.golgotha.net/why-linux/
begin:vcard
n:Glenn;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE