Re: Teaching Linux this summer

Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Daniel Glenn wrote:
>

> > Curriculum outline so far:
> >
> > 1. Being a basic User.
> >       Logging in, getting around, seeing who is online, the
> >       home directory, starting X, reading Mail, access
> >       privileges.
> >       * This is probably where I need to be reminded
> >         of all the simple things you can do as a user.
>
> I would include here some basic shell studies, like:
> - simple pipes, environment variables, dot-files;
> - simple in-line for loops;
> Also, some kind of automation with cron/at should be valuable, imho.
> And, as a must item, how to use man pages, infos, HOWTOS, docs, ...

All good things. I knew there were numerous things I was forgetting, and
that was why I posted. The man pages and HOWTOs may not be so good
though. Remember, these kids have very basic English. The Chinese
versions of these are far from complete, and we're still debating on
whether to include them (the point of our school afterall is English).

> > 4. Form teams.
> >       Once we have a plan, we'll have to assign
> >       people to what they do best. Some will be
> >       able to do the Art, some the harder HTML,
> >       some will just write.
>
> why not some easy perl cgi?

Ah, this will have to be included. Meaning I'll have to learn it :) It
has been awhile since I did any serious computing.

> []s,
> Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
>     IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
> http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
begin:vcard
n:Glenn;Daniel
x-mozilla-html:FALSE