Re: NEWS

> I was mainly thinking of seul-edu-news, but that applies to added links to the
> outside world, like "Added link to the European Schoolnet Linux departement on
> our links page" or something.  And new releases of our projects as well as
> larger releases of packages really fitting..  New projects etc.. All changes on
> the web-page reflects just about what should be on the news, kind of like the
> GNU's news-page.  Otherwise you find yourself, like I earlier today, looking
> around on the page, wondering if there are any new stuff there you've missed
> from the list, any updates or so..
>
> Besides, a page with news is a page people come back to, to see what happened.

Here's another thought that just occurred to me. Rather than trying to keep a
little news page with the latest stuff, why not summarize some of the more
important/interesting/useful threads that are in the seul-edu archives, so
people can see what sort of topics we've hashed out, the various perspectives,
and the conclusions? That would be extremely useful for people wanting to get
up to speed on what seul-edu has done, as well as people using it as reference
material. Does this sound useful to anybody?

As for the "we need a news page so people can keep checking it to see what's
up", that screams for a seul-edu-announce mailing list or some such. Maybe it's
just me, but I always prefer a push mechanism to a pull mechanism for low-traffic
news, because I'm too busy to remember to actively go out and check a page.

> Anyways, if it's ok with the author (Doc Welder? or Wil Langford?) of the
> layout, I should probably use the same...or, it could be part of the main page,
> like some other sites have.. ?

Bear in mind that Wil is not on the seul-edu list; if you want him to get
your mail, cc it to him directly.

> I'll upload a test-version to my account at cran as I send this version, I
> guess it could be looked at by http://cran.seul.org/~eof/news.html ?

I'm afraid I'm stuck in lynx these days, so somebody else should try to
evaluate this one. :)

Thanks,
--Roger