Re: NEWS

> You're right about the news, it could well be a section there instead of the
> links, with the a simple link under "To Do List" to the page with worldwide
> linux educational projects.  The nes would be the most recent ones, and at the
> bottom a link to the page with older ones..  If i got access to the seul-edu
> webb-directories, I could do that rather quickely.

Here are some explicit instructions on how to modify the seul-edu pages. I
figured I'd send them to the list also, so people have a better idea of how
complex this really is (it isn't).

1. Ask me for an account on cran (you've already got this)
2. Ask me to add you to the permissions list so you can modify the seul web
   pages (I've just done this). Also, I've added you to the seul-commits list,
   so you'll get mail whenever somebody does an update.
3. login to cran (via ssh)
4. mkdir -p ~/work/seul/
5. cd ~/work/seul/
6. cvs -d /home/seul/cvsroot/ checkout edu
7. cd edu/html

From here, you will find index.html, projects.html, software.html, etc. A
file named 'foo' in this directory maps directly to
http://www.seul.org/edu/foo
Make whatever modifications you like to files in this directory (be
reasonable, of course :) and add whatever files you like. For each file you
add, type 'cvs add filename' where filename is the name of the new file.
When you're all done making modifications for this session, type
'cvs commit', and it will pop up a little window asking you to summarize the
changes you've made. This summary will get mailed to the seul-commits list,
and a few moments later your modifications will appear on the website.

Should be pretty simple. Ask me for help if you want to create new
directories.

As for actually transferring new files to cran, there are a variety of ways.
Using scp is the simplest, if you're on a unix machine. Alternatively, you
can using anonymous ftp to upload them to cran in the pub/seul/incoming/
directory, then (on cran) copy them out and delete the uploaded files. Or,
you can put them up on your website somewhere, and use
lynx -source http://your.site.org/your/file.html > file.html and they will
magically appear in your directory.

> As for the design, I think the seul-edu home page is close enough to the seul
> home page.  It gives a consistent look, but still shows that it's a section of
> its own.  All the other pages in the seul-edu section should look alike though.
>  And, the logo should be a link to tha main page.  Plus, the main page should
> probably have some link to the seul home page...
>
> How doea this sound?  Then, the news-page I outlined should be placed in the
> same place as the rest, not under eof at cran..

Sure, go for it. If people don't like it, they can argue at you about how it
should look instead. Either way, something gets done. :)

Thanks,
--Roger