Re: What we're doing (was Re: [seul-edu] Another app you may like to see)

Josh Levine wrote:

> > It would be interesting to see what you'd come up with. I was thinking
> > about looking into setting up 386/486 machines as (dumb) Xterms over the
> > summer when I've got some spare time to play with. I'll probably write
> > up how I've done it (and yes, there'll be lots of kludges and I'm sure
> > there'd be a better way of doing it). However, if anyone's interested I
> > can post what I've found to the mailing list (or link to a URL).
>
> I'm actually in the process of doing this right now with about 300 IBM
> EduQuests.  I'm using the kit available at
> http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/xterminals/ to get started, but then it
> appears that I am on my own in getting the Linux system integrated with
> our existing WinNT 4.0 network (printing, home directories, etc...)

Ack. Someone's beaten me to it then :-) I was going to try doing it
completely diskless (well, just booting the kernel, and everything else
over NFS). The idea was that it might be possible to put the kernel or
loader onto an EPROM on the network card, so there'd be proper
netbooting. I'll write up what I've done, so if anyone wants to try,
they can. It might even be useful in schools if they've got assorted old
386s which don't run much :-)

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net  Oxford University Computer Society Secretary

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--