Re: [seul-edu] boot question

From the LILO Manual:

>   0x10   "CRC error". A media error has been detected. Try booting several
>    times, running the map installer a second time (to put the map file at
>    some other physical location or to write "good data" over the bad
>    spot), mapping out the bad sectors/tracks and, if all else fails,
>    replacing the media.

More basically, did you rerun lilo (the familiar name of what the manual
excerpt above refers to as the "map installer") after you reinstalled? If
not, boot from a rescue disk and run lilo on your hard disk. (I'm assuming
this was a boto from a hard disk. If it was from a floppy, the floppy itself
may be bad.)

Other possibility: did you do a slow filesystem creation (with "bad block
checking" enabled) on the partition that holds the kernel? If not, it may be
using a bad sector of the hard disk.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com