Re: (FWD) Re: [seul-edu] Quiet time

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> jeff williams wrote:
>
> > BTW, I'm setting up a Linux in the classroom demonstration project for Kansas
> > Correctional Industries, Topeka, in an attempt to show school systems that a
> > Pentium 133 is still a viable computer for school use.  It should be ready for
> > public viewing in a week or two.
>
> Is this a prison facility?  I'm guessing from the name.  Gee, many of the schools
> around here (especially the parochial schools) would kill for P-133s.  They get to
> use donated 486s.

Hi,

Yes, it is a prision.  KCI runs the surplus properties project for the state of
Kansas.  The gentleman who supervises the operation is convinced that he can do
very good things with Linux and early Pentium class computers.  Because of my
background (lots of UNIX experience) and interest in Linux, he asked me to set
up a demonstration unit so he can show potential customers the power available
in open source.

In addition, I shall be teaching system administration to various "employees"
of KCI who can then use these skills when they are looking for other jobs.  To
me it sounds like a win-win deal.

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@mpks.net
                    jbw9586@ksu.edu