Re: [seul-edu] Home schooling question

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:07, Petr R. Vicherek wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Jim Wildman wrote:
> I looked it up and the results are impressive!

> * The average SAT scores of home-schooled students were 568 Verbal and
> 532 Math, above the national averages of 505 Verbal and 514 Math.

Casting aside statistical weighting brought on by differing
circumstances (e.g. home schoolers often have jobs or businesses before
they get to SAT levels so I would expect that a larger proportion of
those sitting are academics), one of the major advantages that home
educators have is that they are able to tailor their education
(content, timing, environment etc) to exactly suit the student, whereas
a school is more or less forced by its nature to homogenise content,
lop time up into common arbitrary units unrelated to either student or
content and plonk everyone down in the same environment. This on top of
the "smaller classes" advantages like reduced distraction.

These items are also something that FOSS is extremely good at. Oddly
enough, zero-dollar FOSS is at a particular advantage because it costs
only time and bytes to try out some new application, so a student (or
educator selecting for them) can pick and choose and try out a large
range of applications fearlessly. It's also easy to herd a flock of
apps up onto a CD (witness Freeduc, Quantian, Knoppix for Kids,
GnuWin2, Educational Linux) and publish that.

There's generally not even a registration form to fill out, which is a
much-underestimated advantage. How many of you despise parking meters
as much for the fiddling and fussing they cause as for the fee? Imagine
the impact of a universal tax from The Canopy Group T/A The SCO Group
(TSG) on this. But I digress.

Done properly, FOSS educational software will be at as much of an
academic advantage over more heavily encumbered packages as
homeschoolers are over conventional students, and for very much the
same reasons.

Take care when you simplify things for ergonomic reasons to keep the
complicated features, the flexibility and Lego-ness around somewhere.

Cheers; Leon