Re: SEUL homepage

Hi Shanon,

>made so that the average teacher can maintain their Linux box securely
>without having to take four more years of college. This is also important
>for your average windows user who we want to transition to Linux. The way
>most distributions install by default leave so many back doors open that
>the security people where I work don't even like to hear the words Linux

As was mentioned I am writing some information for school installations.
Any info on security and recommendations and backdoors you can share with
me or use would be helpful and appreciated.  If you want you can write the
one on security for teachers.  We would appreciate your help.  Furthermore
this would be valuable for people making a new distribution if they had
guidelines to design from.  I hope you have some time to help.

>probably never wrote a program before. I think this would be a good project
>for any one with the time.

I too was greatly disappointed with the level of expertise of computer
teachers.  However, I think you are wrong that most have not written a
program before, at least that is not true at the high school level.
Additionally, I don't see a problem with people learning networking as they
go along -- nobody is ever born with all the knowledge they will need and
as an educator I delight in learning new information.  I think this also
helps inspire students.  I would be quite sad if everything is given over
to consultants or simplified to mindlessness.  (But perhaps I am not being
practical).  Educating in education is very important and more than just
students should be learning.