Re: [seul-edu] SSFAE report

A report from South San Francisco Adult Education:
Hello Students:

Last nite was a very interesting meeting at the South San Francisco
Adult school, we had Matt Galgoci from the  San Francisco office of Red
Hat Linux visit us, he told us a little about his company and as a test,
installed RED HAT LINUX on computer #14, it worked fine, recognized the
video card, sound card, ethernet card, cd, etc.

Computer # 14 is a Compaq Presario Pentium 100 with 32 mg ram, 2 gig
hard drive, ethernet card, and Sound Blaster card. It was setup for dual
booting, so it can run Windows and Linux. Your computer is probably a
faster PC, with more RAM, so it should work on your PC.  (CHECK WITH
YOUR MANAGER, BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT AT WORK!, SOME COMPANIES DON'T ALLOW
LINUX ON THEIR NETWORK!) I suggest to install it on a HOME PC that you
can use only for LINUX , that way you dont have to worry about Windows.
Linux can run on a 486 pc.

As you remember, Linux comes with Apache web server. The Apache Web
server is being used by 60% of all internet servers, more than anyone
else (Including all Microsoft products). If you are planning your career
, Learn both Windows and Linux and you will be sought after by
employers, offering you big raises.$$

Ten of the students got their LINUX BOOK and their 2 CD's so they can
start playing, er.. I mean learning.
Remember what Matt said: Back up your data first! , defrag the hard disk
first before partitioning.
Linux is basically intended to be used as a Server, even though you can
also use it as a powerful workstation. Linux can be installed in all
major languages: English, Russian, German, French, Chinese, Spanish,
Portuguese, Greek, Hebrew, etc.  You can do a web search and find a
Linux site for your language, here is an example for Linux in Mexico:
http://www.linux.org.mx/

Next week, I will bring another 10 Linux books and the Red Hat CD's so
they can also start learning Linux. The cost of the book is $25.00 cash.
The CD's are for your contributions.

I have asked Matt to see if Red Hat can contribute a few Red Hat User
Manuals, and hopefully some CD's of the latest release when it comes out
next month. We also hope to get some nice posters for the class room
walls.

We thank Matt for his time and help in installing Linux, and invite him
back to help us to install it on the other PCS.

For Next week, we will be doing the exercises in Chapter 9, connecting
Windows NT clients to the  NT Servers. I will post the reading
assignments and downloadable files later.

The Linux class lessons are listed at:
http://www.smcoe.k12.ca.us/ssfusd/as/linux/linux1.html

Please sign up for the Linux class discussion site before  May 4th as
described here:
http://basiclinux.hypermart.net/

Thank you all, see you next week.

Emilio