Re: [seul-edu] Help, I need backup

Although not every crypto/security person would agree with me, it could be
argued that Microsoft, by dominating the marketplace, has built the largest,
most loyal following of crackers and cybervandals with the greatest
expertise. Servers with less market share get less attention and present a
smaller target profile - security through obscurity.  On a more serious note,
unix/linux was designed as a multi-user system from the start, so security
has always been a consideration.

At the local Linux Users Group meeting this week, one person that does
corporate programming/sysadmin reported that the rather large company he
worked for was thinking about dumping microsoft due to the new licensing
structure that MS will be putting in place soon.  They could save over $2
million on software alone if they made the switch. I think it was the .NET
licensing that was objectionable - anyone else hear rumblings about this??

 You may also want to check out sites like sans.org and counterpane labs; I
don't know that they take a position on this OS vs. that, but I recall  some
comments about the inherent vulnerabilities of MS products. Don't know if
this was desktop only, or applied to servers as well.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Byron, PhD
Assistant Professor, Geography