Re: [seul-edu] youngsters logging in

Another (albeit possibly expensive) solution: biometrics. Siemens makes
a spendy (>$100) mouse with a built-in biometric fingerprint sensor.
I've seen cheaper sensors, but I'm not sure where. Kids literally just
have to put their finger on the sensor for a second. No typing at all,
and in case they get, um, "precocious," you have all the accountability
of a real (non-null) password.

--William Abernathy

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Jim Thomas wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm the volunteer sysadmin of a 20-PC linux lab in a small K12 private
> > school.  The school would like to get the younger students into the lab
> > on a regular basis, and I'm starting to worry about the logistics of
> > having the younger ones log in.  Since they can't type very well (if at
> > all), correctly typing in a username/passwd pair will be monumentally
> > difficult for them.  I'm sure the teacher would spend the first 20
> > minutes of lab time getting them logged in, and I doubt that she'd be
> > very happy about that.

[mega snippage...]